Poets published in Spectrum Online Edition: The Villanelle Masters are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, June 17th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Radomir Vojtech Luza

A Villanelle for God


California you have met your fate
Liberals who do not pray
Atheists who do not open the church gate

I am tired of your plastic bait
Mannequins by the bay
Coming to the altar late

Trying this lovely state
But failing like the month of May
Singing like Bonnie Raitt

Holding my stronger mate
As the crimson sun licks the day
Begging for no more hate

Tourists wanting to be the next Hepburn of Kate
But never stay
Past the date

Celebrating pride cannot wait
If we do not go away
Love satiate
The bible integrate





A Villanelle for New Orleans

I for my hometown cry
It me satisfaction brings
I don't know why

Like Captain Bly
My soul sings
While I eat pie

Jackson Square you are no lie
Your beauty stings
Architecture is a sigh

Red beans and rice from my plate fly
Like English kings
A natural high

Mardi Gras on the sly
Every February rings
For each fun-loving boy and guy

The Saints play football by and by
Every Sunday they throw a fling
Where the haters die
True zealots getting drunk on rye





Reservation Abomination

They command
While you cry
Offering brown sand

What is the name of this band
That does not lie
Only weep when officials steal their land

God did not appear for a hundred grand
But did sigh
Making a last stand

Holding my hand
Jesus lifted me high
I felt like Ayn Rand

There is no magic wand
But a day to die
Like a black gland

I keep my past near like a narrow strand
At least I try
They do not understand
Nor can they demand

No comments:

Post a Comment

R A Ruadh

Villanelle for Missy We do not always see eye to eye               We are better at feeling heart to heart    I tell you it is not your time...