Poets published in Spectrum Online Edition: The Villanelle Masters are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, June 17th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Sunday, June 18, 2023

R A Ruadh

Villanelle for Missy


We do not always see eye to eye              
We are better at feeling heart to heart   
I tell you it is not your time to die

Sedated and too silent in the ICU you lie
Your 105.6 fever crawls right off the chart
We do not always see eye to eye

Keep breathing each breath breathe hello not goodbye
You have what it takes the grim reaper to outsmart
I tell you it is not your time to die

I cannot imagine you unable to fly
So I’m ordering you not to give death a head start
We do not always see eye to eye

Let the humming dialysis be your war cry
If you dare check out early we’ll all fall apart
I tell you it is not your time to die

We’re the love all around and we’re not gonna cry
Keep breathing and beating and show us you’re smart
Though we do not always see eye to eye
I tell you it is not your time to die



Missy is my larger-than-life, stubborn, opinionated, and greatly loved sister-in-law.
Since June 2, 2023, she has been in ICU fighting for her life. Devout Catholic that she is, I figure the tongue-lashing she’s been giving both St Peter and the Devil will ensure her return to the world of the living as soon as, and for as long as, possible. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

R A Ruadh

Villanelle for Missy We do not always see eye to eye               We are better at feeling heart to heart    I tell you it is not your time...